How do you switch your Apple Watch over to a new iPhone? Back it up and restore your iPhone backup!
How to prepare your Apple Watch for moving to a new iPhone
Unlike your iPhone, there’s no easy way to manually make a backup of your Apple Watch to iCloud; backups are intrinsically tied to your iPhone’s iCloud or iTunes backup. As such, while your Watch will sync its data to your iPhone regularly when you’re connected via Bluetooth or Wi-Fi, you can’t manually choose to back up your information (unless you manually unpair your Apple Watch, which will then automatically sync its latest data to your iPhone backup).
So what do you do when you want to switch iPhone models? Unpair your Apple Watch from your old smartphone, disable Activation Lock, and make a backup of your iPhone. Here’s how!
Note: Because you can’t use your Apple Watch while it’s unpaired from your iPhone, we recommend waiting until you have both your old and new iPhone in hand before starting this process.
- Go to the Apple Watch app on your old iPhone.
- Tap your active watch at the top of the My Watch screen.
- Tap the info button to the right of your current watch.
Select Unpair Apple Watch.
- Confirm the process by pressing Unpair [watch name].
- Disable Activation Lock by entering your Apple ID password and pressing Unpair.
- Your watch will now begin backing up your watch’s latest data to your iPhone. Once it’s finished, it will unpair itself from…
click here to read more